A strategy for experiencing spiritual health and wellness involves a lived rhythm of work and retreat.
Life and work are full of tensions that need to be managed. Like breathing, where two seemingly opposite things of inhaling and exhaling are crucial for survival and need to be managed well, tension management is necessary for healthy living. Back to our breathing example, we need to both inhale AND exhale in order to be healthy. The experience of spiritual health and wellness requires both work AND retreat. Therefore work into your life a plan for retreating. In your calendar carve out time for retreats.
- Plan vacations and protect them, look forward to them.
- Plan to celebrate Anniversaries and special occasions with friends and family
- Set monthly Coaching – Performance Evaluations - check-ins - how am I doing?
- Set monthly Mentoring and/or Spiritual Direction and/or networking
- Keep the Sabbath
- Cease working one day in seven.
- Time with God – “Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness”
- Time with spouse/family/friends