JOURNEY TO OFFICERSHIP
STEP 1 SHARE YOUR INTEREST
- Begin a conversation with your Corps Officer (CO) about your interest in officership
- Complete the Applicant Readiness Self-Assessment survey to help assess your readiness to become a Salvation Army officer
- Consider joining Candidates Connect - a network of Salvationists committed to pursuing the possibility of officership, under God’s direction. When you are ready, your CO will bring the Divisional Secretary for Candidates (DSC) into the conversation to advise you regarding the application process.
- When you are ready to officially begin an application, your CO will bring the Divisional Secretary for Candidates (DSC) into the conversation to advise you regarding the application process.
STEP 2 RELEASE OF APPLICATION
The application package includes:
- Application for Officership Release of Information
- Candidate’s Personal Experience
- Divorce Documentation (if applicable)
- Ministry Worker Screening
- Employment History
Upon completion, your CO will provide Divisional Headquarters (DHQ) with the documents noted above.
STEP 3 ENGAGING DIVISIONAL LEADERS
The DSC receives and reviews the application package and presents it to the Divisional Commander (DC) for endorsement and submission to the Territorial Secretary for Candidates.
STEP 4 REVIEW BY TERRITORIAL SECRETARY FOR CANDIDATES
Upon review of Phase One forms, the Territorial Secretary for Candidates will authorize advancement to Phase Two.
STEP 5 HEALTH
- Complete Mental Health Summary Pre-Screening form and subsequent testing package
- Interview with psychologist
- Medical (complete physical)
- Medical for children (if applicable)
- Dental exam (applicants only)
Upon receipt and review of medical/interview summary reports, the remainder of Phase Two documents will be released.
STEP 6 ACADEMIC/FINANCE/EMPLOYMENT/MINISTRY ASSESSMENT
- Complete Nelson Denny Reading & Comprehension test (administered by CO or DSC)
- Enroll in Introduction to Officership online course at Booth University College (funding provided by Territorial Candidates’ Office)
- Employer Reference
- Corps Officer Appraisal
- Ministry Board Appraisal
- Undertakings Entered into by an Officer
- Orders & Regulations for Officers re: Marriage & Adoption
Your CO will submit the completed Phase Two documents to DHQ for their review.
STEP 7 DIVISIONAL CANDIDATES’ BOARD INTERVIEW
The Divisional Candidates’ Board will invite you for an interview to further explore your understanding of officership and the expectations that are attached to spiritual leadership in The Salvation Army. Upon endorsement, your completed application package will be forwarded to the Territorial Secretary for Candidates.
STEP 8 TERRITORIAL CANDIDATES’ COUNCIL PRESENTATION
The Territorial Secretary for Candidates will present your case to the Territorial Candidates’ Council for official consideration of acceptance into training.
Please note: Upon acceptance, you may be required to engage in continued follow-up in order to ensure that you are ready to commence training.
STEP 9 ACCEPTANCE
Congratulations! You will receive official confirmation of your acceptance, along with additional details and instructions. You will also receive a copy of the Candidates’ Memorandum which will provide you with all necessary details to assist you in your preparation for entry to the College for Officer Training (CFOT). A candidate’s pin will be presented to you during a public service.