Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Response Certificate
As part of our Territorial Fight For Freedom Strategy, we strongly believe that effective and intentional awareness, education, and training is needed to mobilize people within Canada and Bermuda to fight against modern slavery and human trafficking.
Commencing in Spring 2021, we will be offering a free online Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Response Certificate comprised of four modules (offered one per month over four months). Whether you are an officer, an employee, a volunteer, a Salvationist, a friend of The Salvation Army, part of a youth group, or a parent – this is for you! These are the four modules that we will be offering:
Module #1 – Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking 101
This module will provide an overview of what is modern slavery and human trafficking by focusing on:
- Defining modern slavery and human trafficking and the common terms and concepts associated with it.
- Describing and explaining what human trafficking is by examining topics such as signs, risks of vulnerability, and methods of recruitment; human trafficking versus human smuggling; methods used to control victims; who are the traffickers; and why victims do not leave.
- Explaining the economics of human trafficking by looking at the concepts of “demand and supply” and “supply chains”.
Module #2 - Specific Forms of Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking
This module will provide an overview of four different forms of modern slavery and human trafficking that are seen in Canada and Bermuda. These four forms include:
- Sex Trafficking – highlighting Indigenous Women and Girls and domestic sex trafficking.
- Labour Trafficking – highlight the Temporary Foreign Workers Program.
- Child Trafficking and the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children.
- Forced Marriages.
Module #3 – Trauma Informed
This module will provide an overview of trauma informed care within the field of modern slavery and human trafficking by focusing on:
- Recognizing trauma and indicators of trauma reactions in the individuals served by programs, as well as staff providing services.
- Understanding what it means to be trauma informed and how to implement trauma informed care into our programs / services.
- Identifying effective intervention strategies that can be used when participants have a trauma response.
Module #4 – The Territorial Fight For Freedom Strategy
This module will provide an overview of our Territorial Fight For Freedom Strategy by focusing on:
- The four goals of our strategy.
- Outlining the modern slavery and human trafficking work that is currently taking place throughout the Territory.
- Sharing ways for participants to take the information they have learned from this Certificate and to get involved.