e-TIPS: tips for youth workers April 2019
DAY CAMP AND VBS MINISTRIES
What plans have you made for your summer ministries? Will you be running a VBS every morning for a week? Will you be hosting a camp at home team to lead a week’s worth of summer outreach? Will you be hiring a team to run a summer long day camp at your ministry unit? All are fantastic ministry opportunities to both share the good news and to build relationships within your community.
There’s a lot of planning and organization involved in running summer outreach ministries. You’ve got to hire or recruit a team leader / coordinator. You’ve got to recruit volunteers to run games, crafts, prepare food and to be small group leaders. You’ve got to plan for your leaders-in-training. You’ve got to choose a VBS program. You’ve got to buy supplies for games, activities, crafts and so much more. But more importantly you’ve got to train your workers and create safe spaces for the campers.
We’re pleased to announce that Praesidium Inc. now has a training program for Day Camp, entitled "A Day At Day Camp". This new course offers great advice for day camp workers that will help with planning and scheduling as well as helping you to:
- Know how to identify high risk situations
- Know how to manage high risk situations
- Know how to recognize and respond to warning signs in situations
- Know how to keep your boundaries clear with campers
This new course looks at these main activities which have high risk potential: early arrival time, starting the day, swim time, lunch and free time, field trips and pick up time.
If you are planning to run a Day Camp or a Weekday VBS program your staff and volunteers need to complete The Salvation Army’s Screening Process. This means they need to:
- Read the Territorial Abuse Prevention Policy Manual and the Territorial Abuse Prevention Resource Manual. Then submit the “Acknowledgement of Abuse Prevention Policy Manual”
- Fill in a Statement to Work with Children, Youth and Vulnerable Adults
- Submit a Police Record’s Check or Vulnerable Sector Check
- Complete the Armatus Courses: Meet Sam, It Happened to Me, Duty to Report and “A Day at Day Camp”. Returning staff should complete this new course “A Day at Day Camp” and the Abuse Prevention Refresher Course.
- References should be contacted / checked on each staff member.
Two good pieces of advice from the new “A Day at Day Camp”:
©2019 The Salvation Army, Canada and Bermuda Territory, 2 Overlea Blvd., Toronto, ON M4H 1P4. e-TIPS are tips for children and youth ministry workers produced by Children & Youth Ministries Dept. and are available via e-mail. Please subscribe to email@example.com.
To subscribe to e-TIPS by email contact firstname.lastname@example.org
ARMATUS - Day Camp Module - Apr 2019
This Is Boring - March 2019
VBS Highlights - February 2019
Creative and Effective Tips for Teaching - January 2019
Kids Service Others - November 2018
Decision Sunday - October 2018
Ready to Rally? - August 2018
May I Have Some Assistance Please - Apr 2018
Integrated Mission - Mar 2018
VBS Highlights - Jan 2018
Theme Nights - Dec 2017
Christmas Outreach Resources - Oct 2017
New Beginnings for Fall Sept 2017
Special Dates for the Year Aug 2017
Are you feeling stressed? Apr 2017
How can you influence a life? Mar 2017
Creative ways to pray with children. Jan 2017
Christmas Outreach. Nov 2016
Give your class a great start. Oct 2016