Booth University College is relocating its full operations to 290 Vaughan Street. The move will enable Booth UC to maintain and elevate the high standards of education for which the institution is renowned.
“There is great anticipation around the purchase of 290 Vaughan Street and the opportunities afforded us by this move,” says Booth UC President Rev. Dr. Rob Fringer.
290 Vaughan Street, a beautiful heritage listed structure, was first purchased by Booth University College at the end of 2002, and then sold to The Salvation Army College for Officer Training in 2006. Since that time, Booth UC has continued to rent space in the building for the John Fairbank Memorial Library and Petersen Hall. Now, it will purchase the building back and relocate from 447 Webb Place in 2024.
The building has a long history in Winnipeg. Built in 1917 with a third floor added in 1927; it was originally owned by Public Press Limited, a subsidiary company of the Grain Growers’ Grain Company, and was known as the Public Press Building. It later became the Robinson Building.
“This space will facilitate innovation in learning and teaching across multiple platforms and modalities,” notes Dr. Linda Schwartz, Booth UC vice-president academic and dean, “and foster learning engagement within a purposeful, relevant and rich environmental hub of learning communities—from undergraduate scholars to learning professionals—here in Winnipeg’s core, across Canada and beyond.”
Booth UC will continue to occupy 447 Webb Place until the end of June 2024, while renovations are carried out at the new location. 290 Vaughan will officially be named the Waldron Building in honour of the late Commissioners John and Helen Waldron, who played a critical role in the establishment of Booth UC. Hetherington Chapel will also be relocating, which is named in honour of Clifford Hetherington.
The largest renovation to the new Waldron Building will be the creation of a bistro in the basement. “We want to create an inviting, casual space where people feel accepted, comfortable, and safe,” states Angie Coe, Booth UC hospitality manager. “This establishment will be open to the public and give those in the downtown area another affordable and inviting dining option.”
Dr. Fringer concludes, “Booth UC’s move to the new Waldron Building will help us to better serve the community and meet our aim of ‘Education for a Better World.’ Our commitment to Winnipeg and to education is unwavering, and we look forward to many more years of service to both.”