Oct4FriPathway of Hope team holds training sessions across Ontario. October 4, 2019 by Lemoy Whilby
September is suicide prevention month in Canada. According to the Public Health of Canada, an average of eleven people dies by suicide each day in Canada. It is the second leading cause of death by children, youth, and young adult, ages 10 to 19 and 20 to 29 years old. These statistics are alarming and highlight the fact that suicide is everyone’s business. It is an epidemic that has scared many of our communities and the ones we love. Hence, it is incumbent that we join hearts and hands to raise awareness. Suicide is preventable, but it requires each of us to see it as our responsibility to be our “brother’s keeper”. If you are affected by suicidal thoughts or someone you know died by suicide, you are not alone; find someone you trust and they will help you to get the support you deserve.
Get Help Now!
- Distress and Crisis Ontario: http://www.dcontario.org/centres.html
- Your Life Counts: https://yourlifecounts.org/find-help/ (enter Canada/Ontario)
- Youthline (support for LGBT youth): http://www.youthline.ca/
- ConnexOntario (all ages): 1-866-531-2600
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-330-6366
- Good2Talk(post-secondary student helpline): 1-866-925-5454
- Kids Help Phone (general counselling line): 1-800-668-6868
- Indian Residential Schools Crisis Line: 1-866-925-4419
- Canada Suicide Prevention Service: 1-833-456-4566 [24/7]
- Ontario crisis text (2 p.m. -2 a.m. ET): 741-741
- Ontario Crisis Chat ( 2 p.m. - 2 a.m. ET): www.dcontario.org/ontx.html
- YouthSpace: 778-783-0177 (6 p.m. – 12 a.m. PST) or email@example.com
This year the Pathway of Hope team held a series of training sessions across Ontario under the theme “Just Ask – Suicide Awareness & Prevention”. In total over 60 Officers, employees, students, and volunteers attended the various sessions.
Please see session details listed below.
September 3, 2019
Barrie Bayside Mission Centre
Guest Presenter: Aleta Armstrong, Senior Manager of Community Awareness and Resources Development, Canadian Mental Health Association – Simcoe County
September 10, 2019
Cedarbrae Community Church
Guest Presenter: Alex Shendelman, Program Manager, Survivor Support Program, Toronto Distress Centre
September 17, 2019
London Centre of Hope
Guest Presenter: David Small, Mental Health Public Educator, Canadian Mental Health Association –Middlesex
September 24, 2019
Dunnville Community and Family Services
Guest Presenter: Tamara Leniew, The Suicide Prevention Community Council of Hamilton