The Voice of The Salvation Army in Canada and BermudaView RSS Feed
Jan3WedThis new year, try these new lifestyle suggestions. January 3, 2018 by Sheri Pavlović
Start 2018 off the eco-friendly way! Try these sustainable lifestyle tips:
- Filed Under:
- Faith & Friends
1. Reuse items you already have—instead of buying new. Why buy food storage when margarine containers can easily be washed and reused?
2. Swap meet. Do a house purge and swap things you don’t want with friends and relatives to score some new-to-you gear for free.
3. Mend and repair whenever possible—instead of tossing out. Not only does this save you money but it also means fewer items will end up in a landfill.
4. Make do with what you already have. Before you make a purchase ask: Do I really need it? Will it be used often? Is it something I can easily pass on to someone if I decide I don’t want it anymore?
5. Visit thrift stores and shop preloved. If you absolutely need something new, get it second-hand whenever possible. New to you is still new!
6. Refashion what you already own. It’s amazing how a quick snip or small tweak can transform those unworn pieces at the back of your closet into completely different garments.
7. Upcycle everything. So much of what we have cluttering up our houses and storage can be recreated into fantastic new items with a bit of imagination.
Each month, Sheri Pavlović will provide a new easy-does-it tutorial that’ll expand on these tips, and more. Stay tuned!
Sheri Pavlović is the do-it-yourself diva behind the Confessions of a Refashionista book series, channel and blog, which are full of step-by-step upcycling tutorials for everything from clothing and accessories to home décor. She is also a creative expert for The Salvation Army’s thrift stores. Find a thrift store near you at thriftstore.ca.